Tertiary Education


Students seeking higher education in the sciences have a number of options available, right here in the Great Southern region.

Curtin and Edith Cowan universities offer a range of options for studying online, including undergraduate and higher degree by research studies.


An undergraduate Bachelor of Science can be completed at the UWA Albany campus in the majors of Environmental Science, Conservation Biology and Marine science. A minimum of the first year of most other science majors are also available through the Albany Centre.

Honours projects and postgraduate research opportunities are available through the Centre of Excellence in Natural Resource Management and the Rural Clinical School of Western Australia.

Feel free to contact GSSC for links with potential mentors or for information about research priorities in the region. We will do our best to help.

If you are looking for an applied course or diploma, the Great Southern Institute of Technology has a wide range of study options available to you. Choose to do a few units at a time or enrol for a whole qualification.

Science courses are available in the Health and aged care and Environmental and Rural sectors.

For those with a particular interest in ecology and the natural sciences GSIT offer a diverse range of courses that will give you the specialised skills needed to be a leader in the field of environmental and rural-based vocations. State-of-the-art facilities include a modern farm complex, an aquaculture research centre, a testing laboratory, a NIAWA-certified horticulture plant nursery, and a NASAA-certified organic garden.

Student learning is supported by advanced equipment including a Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping laboratory and GPS devices.

Traineeships are also offered in dairy, agriculture, horticulture, land management, shearing and wool handling.

In addition, GSIT Student Services offer a wide range of services that support your academic development and your everyday life. From cafes to careers, from child care to counselling, from study skills to special needs.


Other Education Pages